Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Earth Day, Everyone!

Obviously, with an Etsy shop named Barefoot Hippie Soapworks, I'm kind of a hippie.  Which means I don't save all of my green, crunchy stuff for Earth Day.  But I thought it might be a good day to share some of them with y'all.

One of the more recent environmentally-friendly (and tot-friendly) things is cloth diapering my little one.  Before she was born, her daddy and I had several discussions about whether or not it would be something I'd actually want to stick with.  Well, let me tell you, not only are they stinking cute, but they also don't end up in landfills and Little Miss doesn't have chemicals right up on her tushie. 


A friend of mine asked me once how I felt about needing to use so much more water, because of all the extra laundry.  One.  Babies are messy.  I'd still have done a lot of laundry.  And two.  I'll take more water usage over 8,000-ish of her diapers just sitting there in a landfill. 

We also use a lot of cloth items in general.  Cloth wipes, napkins, pads, and cleaning cloths.  No more disposable dusters for me! 

I also happen to love Ecos detergent (especially the Lavender scent), and Bac-out cleaning products.  When I first started washing all the cloth diapers, I started with Rockin' Green Hard Rock.  It worked fine, but suddenly there were three kinds of detergents in the laundry room.  Ben's, mine and Zoey's, and Rockin' Green.  It was really kind of overkill.  Eventually I found Ecos, and it works wonderfully on everything - diapers, towels, clothes, you name it.

And since it's Earth Day, I'll probably ask Zoey this evening if she'd like to watch The Lorax.  Which means I'll also probably have to read it for probably the millionth time at bedtime tonight.  Girl loves her Dr. Seuss.  Which works out just fine, since I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment